Utgave 76 – I denne utgaven:
– Down on Lumbar Flexion in Strength Training Programs? Enter the Reverse Crunch (av Eric Cressey)
– Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: OL’ing Part 10 (av Lyle McDonald)
– Lose Weight, Lose Pressure (av James Krieger)
– The Problems With the 3500 Calorie Per Pound of Fat Figure, Part 2: (av James Krieger)
– Alcohol and Body Weight (av James Krieger)
– Breast Cancer, Chemotherapy, and Weight Management (av James Krieger)
«The first follower is what transformes a lone nut, into a leader.»
– Derek Sivers
Down on Lumbar Flexion in Strength Training Programs? Enter the Reverse Crunch: En flott artikkel av Eric Cressey om fleksjon i korsryggen under trening. Fleksjon er ikke alltid djevelen, spesielt ikke for folk som lever i ekstensjon (anterior pelvic tilt/excessive lumbar extension). (notat: svai i korsryggen)
Et lite utdrag: «…These points in mind, I’m a firm believer that you should avoid:
a) end-range lumbar flexion
b) lumbar flexion exercises in those who already spend their entire lives in flexion
c) lumbar flexion under load
It seems pretty cut and dry, right? Don’t move your lumbar spine and you’ll be fine, right? Tell that to someone who lives in lumbar hyperextension and anterior pelvic tilt..»
* Referanse: Eric Cressey.
Why the US Sucks at Olympic Lifting: OL’ing Part 10: Siste del av Lyle McDonald’s virkelig lange artikkelserie om hvorfor USA ‘suger’ i olympisk vektløfting. Oprinnelig var det langt flere deler enn 10, men Lyle har senere sammensatt de mer.
Lose Weight, Lose Pressure: En meta-analyse fra september 2011 gir en pekepinn på hvor stort dropp man kan forvente i blodtrykk bår overvektige personer med høyt blodtrykk/hypertensjon slanker seg.
«- Article summary: A recent meta-analysis showed that blood pressure decreases by 3-5 points when you’re overweight, hypertensive, and lose about 9 pounds by dieting. If you lose more, blood pressure may drop further, but it will depend upon many factors, including your starting point, how much weight you lose, etc.
– Points of Interest:
— Researchers gathered 8 diet studies lasting at least 6 months
— Combined, the studies involved a total of 2100 hypertensive participants
— Average systolic blood pressure dropped by 4.5 mm Hg, and average diastolic blood pressure dropped by 3.2 mm Hg
— Average weight loss across the studies was 8.8 pounds.
— » In one of these studies, about 35% of the controls and 60% of the subjects on a diet were without medication after 56 weeks.»
— » Results for individuals could vary dramatically.»
— «The relationship between a drop in weight and drop in blood pressure is likely not linear across the spectrum of weight and blood pressure changes.»
* Referanser: James Krieger.
1)Siebenhofer, A., et al. Long-term effects of weight-reducing diets in hypertensive patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Sep 7;9:CD008274. Pubmed.
2)Horvath, K., et al. Long-term effects of weight-reducing interventions in hypertensive patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 168(6):571-580, 2008.
3) Langford, H.G., et al. Dietary therapy slows the return of hypertension after stopping prolonged medication. JAMA. 253(5):657-664, 1985.
4) Whelton, P.K., et al. Sodium reduction and weight loss in the treatment of hypertension in older persons: a randomized controlled trial of nonpharmacologic interventions in the elderly (TONE). TONE Collaborative Research Group. JAMA. 279(11):839-846, 1998.
5) Wylie-Rosett, J., et al. Trial of antihypertensive intervention and management: greater efficacy with weight reduction than with a sodium-potassium intervention. J Am Diet Assoc. 93(4):408-415, 1993.
The Problems With the 3500 Calorie Per Pound of Fat Figure, Part 2: Dr. Kevin Hall har utviklet et nettverktøy som kan beregne forventet vekttap og nødvendig kaloriunderskudd langt mer nøyaktige enn den vanlige 3 500 kal per lbs metoden. (Notater: kaloriinntak, kaloribehov, energibehov, vektreduksjon, slanking).
* Referanser: James Krieger – NIDDK: Body Weight Simulator.
Alcohol and Body Weight: Lavt til moderat inntak av alkohol er assosiert med lavere kroppsvekt, mens høyt inntak (30+ g/d) er assosiert med høyere kroppsvekt. Alkohol før et måltid er også vist å øke kaloriinntaket fra måltider, og det er ikke kompanert for i neste måltid.
«- Article Summary: Light to moderate alcohol intake (1-2 drinks per day maximum) can be a part of any effective weight management program, as long as you are mindful of your calorie intake. Also, it is better to consume alcohol with a meal than before a meal to avoid any potential appetite stimulatory effects.
– Points of Interest:
— Alcohol does inhibit fat burning during its metabolism, but does not affect fat balance over 24 hours if you do not consume more calories than you are burning
— Alcohol only causes weight gain when consumed in excess of calorie needs
— Moderate amounts of alcohol (10% of calories) does not impair weight loss
— 24 or more grams of alcohol (2 or more drinks) may stimulate appetite if consumed before meals, but there does not appear to be any effect on appetite when consumed with a meal
— «…individuals who believe this are making the same mistake that believers in the carbohydrate/insulin hypothesis of obesity make.»
— «…alcohol has a fat-sparing effect similar to that of carbohydrate and will only cause fat gain when consumed in excess of normal energy needs.»
— «The men consumed significantly more food at the buffet after having the alcoholic lager compared to the other conditions.»
* Referanser: James Krieger.
1) Caton, S.J., et al. Dose-dependent effects of alcohol on appetite and food intake. Physiol Behav. 81(1):51-58, 2004.
2) Cordain, L., et al. Influence of moderate daily wine consumption on body weight regulation and metabolism in healthy free-living males. J Am Coll Nutr. 16(2):134-139, 1997.
3) Cordain, L., et al. Influence of moderate chronic wine consumption on insulin sensitivity and other correlates of syndrome X in moderately obese women. Metabolism. 49(11):1473-1478, 2000.
4) Flechtner-Mors, M., et al. Effects of moderate consumption of white wine on weight loss in overweight and obese subjects. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 28(11):1420-1426, 2004.
5) Hetherington, M.M., et al. Stimulation of appetite by alcohol. Physiol Behav. 74(3):283-289, 2001.
6) Koh-Banerjee, P., et al. Prospective study of the association of changes in dietary intake, physical activity, alcohol consumption, and smoking with 9-y gain in waist circumference among 16 587 US men. Am J Clin Nutr. 78(4):719-727, 2003.
7) Mukamal, K.J., et al. Roles of drinking pattern and type of alcohol consumed in coronary heart disease in men. N Engl J Med. 348(2):109-118, 2003.
8) Raben, A., et al. Meals with similar energy densities but rich in protein, fat, carbohydrate, or alcohol have different effects on energy expenditure and substrate metabolism but not appetite and energy intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 77(1):91-100, 2003.
9) Sonko, B.J., et al. Effect of alcohol on postmeal fat storage. Am J Clin Nutr. 59(3):619-625, 1994.
10) Wannamethee, S.G., and A.G. Shaper. Alcohol, body weight, and weight gain in middle-aged men. Am J Clin Nutr. 77(5):1312-1317, 2003.
Breast Cancer, Chemotherapy, and Weight Management: Behandling av kreft gjennom kjemoterapi/chemotherapy kan ha en rekke bivirkninger, blant annet økning i kroppsvekt i sammen med en reduksjon i mager masse/muskelmasse. Trening kan hjelpe til med å motvirke disse bivirkningene
«- Article Summary: When women undergo chemotherapy for breast cancer, they can experience weight gain and a loss of lean mass. Research shows that a combination of cardiovascular exercise and resistance training can prevent this from happening. The vast majority of evidence indicates that exercise is safe for patients undergoing chemotherapy.
— «Along with the increase in body fat is a decrease in lean mass of 1-4 pounds; this decrease is attributed to the toxic effects of chemotherapy agents on muscle tissue.»
— «The main reason for chemotherapy-induced weight gain is a decrease in physical activity.»
— «The exercise group experienced superior improvements in both body fat percentage and lean body mass.»
— » most evidence indicates that weight training does not aggravate lymphedema.».
* Referanser: James Krieger.
1) Battaglini, C., et al. The effects of an individualized exercise intervention on body composition in breast cancer patients undergoing treatment. Sao Paulo Med J. 125(1):22-28, 2007.
2) Cheema, B., et al. Progressive resistance training in breast cancer: a systematic review of clinical trials. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 109(1):9-26, 2008.
3) Costa, L.J., et al. Weight changes during chemotherapy for breast cancer. Sao Paulo Med J. 120(4):113-117, 2002.
4) Courneya, K.S., et al. Effects of aerobic and resistance exercise in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 25(28):4396-4404, 2007.
5) Demark-Wahnefried, W., et al. Why women gain weight with adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 11(7):1418-1429, 1993.
6) Demark-Wahnefried, W., et al. Preventing sarcopenic obesity among breast cancer patients who receive adjuvant chemotherapy: results of a feasibility study. Clin Exerc Physiol. 4(1):44-49, 2002.
7) Goodwin, P.J. Weight gain in early-stage breast cancer: where do we go from here? J Clin Oncol. 19(9):2367-2369, 2001.
8) Kirshbaum, M.N. A review of the benefits of whole body exercise during and after treatment for breast cancer. J Clin Nurs. 16(1):104-121, 2007.
9) Kumar, N., et al. Fatigue, weight gain, lethargy and amenorrhea in breast cancer patients on chemotherapy: is subclinical hypothyroidism the culprit? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 83(2):149-159, 2004.
10) Markes, M., et al. Exercise for women receiving adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Oct 18;(4):CD005001.
11) Saquib, N., et al. Weight gain and recovery of pre-cancer weight after breast cancer treatments: evidence from the women’s healthy eating and living (WHEL) study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 105(2):177-186, 2007.
12) Schwartz, A.L. Exercise and weight gain in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer Pract. 8(5):231-237, 2000.
13) Visovsky, C. Muscle strength, body composition, and physical activity in women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. Integr Cancer Ther. 5(3):183-191, 2006.
14) Winningham, M.L., et al. Effect of aerobic exercise on body weight and composition in patients with breast cancer on adjuvant chemotherapy. Oncol Nurs Forum. 16(5):683-689, 1989.
Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much approximately this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with some % to drive the message house a little bit, however instead of that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.
Good stuff. I also follow http://www.tipsandpunts.com for their betting tips and previews, good twitter account too
Magnificent site. Lots of helpful info here. I?¦m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your effort!
I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information a person provide in your guests? Is going to be back ceaselessly to check up on new posts
There are actually plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great point to deliver up. I provide the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where crucial thing might be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impression of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.
Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.
new ways to make money online in 2012
Thanks , I’ve just been searching for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?
I’m very pleased to find this page. I want to to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely liked every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new stuff on your web site.
Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided brilliant clear idea
As soon as I noticed this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.
Normally I don’t read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.
I’m commenting to make you know what a useful discovery my cousin’s child enjoyed using your blog. She noticed too many things, including what it is like to possess an incredible helping character to make the others without problems fully grasp selected complex matters. You really exceeded our own expectations. Many thanks for offering the precious, trustworthy, educational not to mention unique tips on the topic to Emily.
Aw, this was a really great post. In theory I’d like to write like this also taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.
I and also my guys have been following the good recommendations from the blog and so all of a sudden I had a terrible feeling I had not thanked the blog owner for those strategies. Most of the boys came as a result warmed to read through them and have actually been using these things. Thank you for really being well thoughtful and also for making a decision on this kind of outstanding resources most people are really desirous to be informed on. Our own honest apologies for not expressing gratitude to earlier.
Thanks so much for providing individuals with a very brilliant opportunity to check tips from this blog. It really is so enjoyable and full of fun for me personally and my office peers to search your web site on the least 3 times in a week to read the newest secrets you have. And indeed, I’m just always happy for the dazzling principles served by you. Some 2 points in this article are really the best I have had.
what’s an electronic cigarettes? electronic things, you can try going Sim Lim Square but remember to bargine!
Hi,Hello it´s just i totally dig your site, I would feel honored to write a heartful review about your fine site in my little would you say yes please?
I have got come across blog sites and types of recognize what they are simply. My question is what do you prepare upon a blogging site, like products that is on your mind or possibly just about anything? And what websites could i logon to get started on websites? .
Hello, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s really excellent, keep up writing.
The the next occasion I read a weblog, I hope so it doesnt disappoint me about brussels. Get real, I know it was my solution to read, but I personally thought youd have some factor interesting to mention. All I hear is really a quantity of whining about something which you could repair if you werent as well busy interested in attention.
Thank you for sharing exceptional informations. Your web site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you simply have on this website. It reveals how nicely you recognize this subject. Bookmarked this internet page, will come back for extra articles. You, my buddy, ROCK! I located just the information I currently searched everywhere and basically could not come across. What an excellent site.
How to obtain yahoo and google google adsense are the cause of my all 3 blogging and two websites ?