Utgave 48 – I denne utgaven:
– Grønn te kan øke metthetsfølelsen (forskning)
– En sunn transfettsyre? (forskning)
– Øl mot prostatakreft? (forskning)
– Puss tennene og unngå hjerte/kar-sykdommer og diabetes? (forskning)
– Sizeism – Hate and Ignorance, on both sides? (av Leigh Peele)
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
– Robert H. Schuller.
Grønn te kan øke metthetsfølelsen: En Svensk studie fra november 2010 fant at inntak av 3 dl grønn té etter et måltid kan øke metthetsfølelse og fullhet.
Et par interessante sitater fra studien:
– “The secondary endpoint in this study was the effect of green tea on satiety. Our hypothesis was that green tea not only lower postprandial glucose and insulin levels but also increase satiety. Flint et al.  concluded that scoring of sensations such as hunger, satiety, fullness, and desire by VAS can be reproduced, and can therefore be used in single-meal studies. In our study, the VAS rating revealed an overall higher sensation of satiety after the green tea meal than after the reference meal. This is supported by the fact that not only was satiety increased, but also the feeling of fullness and the feeling of having had enough to consume. However, no effect was seen on satiety during a 12-week intervention with GTE capsules in obese subjects on a standardized diet . Several factors may have contributed to our positive findings: we used a crossover design, we examined different sensations of satiety at frequent intervals, and we used green tea in its natural form served as a hot beverage. The taste perception of the green tea in this study may have been responsible for the satiety-promoting effect of green tea and so contributed to a stronger satiety sensation after the green tea meal than after the reference meal. Oral exposure to food is related to an increase in satiety, and a decrease in hunger and desire to eat . Measurements of taste perception of the meals in this study would have provided additional information. However, the participants did not dislike the green tea meal more than the reference meal, nor did they feel sicker during the green tea trial, so the higher level of satiety could not be explained by any unpleasantness produced by the green tea meal. The subjects experienced a stronger desire to consume their favorite food or eat another mouthful of the same food after the reference meal.”
– “Our study has several limitations, and the results should be considered with some caution. Since the study was not blinded, we cannot exclude the possibility that the findings of greater satiety with green tea could be biased. Furthermore, the effect of green tea on satiety was only a secondary endpoint, and the subjects included were healthy and of normal weight. We may have found more significant differences in fullness and satiety if a larger number of participants had been included in the study. To simplify the comparison of the glucose AUC calculations we present our results in terms of GI. We found no difference in GI with green tea, possibly due to large inter- and intrasubject variations in AUCs. The precision could have been improved if the test and reference meals had been repeated. Standardization of the participants’ diet 24 hours prior to the trials could have ensured a more similar glucose tolerance on the two trial days.”
– “Green tea did not lower plasma glucose, GI or insulin levels in this study. Although of modest sample size, the results of this study suggest that green tea may increase satiety and fullness. Clearly, a large clinical trial involving a great number of overweight and obese subjects is needed to further evaluate effects of green tea on satiety.”
1) Julija Josic,#1 Anna Tholén Olsson,#1 Jennie Wickeberg,2 Sandra Lindstedt,3 and Joanna Hlebowicz. Does green tea affect postprandial glucose, insulin and satiety in healthy subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Nutr J. 2010; 9: 63. Published online 2010 November 30. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-9-63. Pubmed – Full tekst.
25) Auvichayapat P, Prapochanung M, Tunkamnerdthai O, Sripanidkulchai BO, Auvichayapat N, Thinkhamrop B, Kunhasura S, Wongpratoom S, Sinawat S, Hongprapas P. Effectiveness of green tea on weight reduction in obese Thais: A randomized, controlled trial. Physiol Behav. 2008;93:486–491. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2007.10.009. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
26) Smeets AJ, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Oral exposure and sensory-specific satiety. Physiol Behav. 2006;9(2):281–286. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2006.06.011.
En sunn transfettsyre? At transfett er generelt sett er usunt, er det meget stor enighet om, men enkelte varianter av naturlig forekommende transfett kan ha helsefordeler. En studie fra desember 2010 fant en korrelasjon mellom inntak av meierifettsyren Trans-palmitoleic acid, og redusert risiko for metabolsk syndrom.
” Higher trans-palmitoleate levels were associated with slightly lower adiposity and, independently, with higher high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels (1.9% across quintiles; P = 0.040), lower triglyceride levels (-19.0%; P < 0.001), a lower total cholesterol-HDL cholesterol ratio (-4.7%; P < 0.001), lower C-reactive protein levels (-13.8%; P = 0.05), and lower insulin resistance (-16.7%, P < 0.001). Trans-palmitoleate was also associated with a substantially lower incidence of diabetes, with multivariate hazard ratios of 0.41 (95% CI, 0.27 to 0.64) and 0.38 (CI, 0.24 to 0.62) in quintiles 4 and 5 versus quintile 1 (P for trend < 0.001). Findings were independent of estimated dairy consumption or other fatty acid dairy biomarkers. Protective associations with metabolic risk factors were confirmed in the validation cohort.”
Øl mot prostatakreft? Forskning viser at Xanthohumol, et stoff i humle fra øl, kan redusere risikoen for prostatakreft.
Det er forøvrig også mulig å få tak i humle i form av krydder, kosttilskudd, eller den Svenske juledrikken Julmust.
1) Colgate EC et al. Xanthohumol, a prenylflavonoid derived from hops induces apoptosis and inhibits NF-kappaB activation in prostate epithelial cells. Cancer Lett. 2007 Feb 8;246(1-2):201-9. Epub 2006 Mar 24. Pubmed.
2) Deeb D et al. Growth inhibitory and apoptosis-inducing effects of xanthohumol, a prenylated chalone present in hops, in human prostate cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2010 Sep;30(9):3333-9. Pubmed.
3) Delmulle L et al. Treatment of PC-3 and DU145 prostate cancer cells by prenylflavonoids from hop (Humulus lupulus L.) induces a caspase-independent form of cell death. Phytother Res. 2008 Feb;22(2):197-203. Pubmed.
Puss tennene og unngå hjerte/kar-sykdommer og diabetes? Lavere frekvens av tannbørsting er assosiert med større sjanse for kardiovaskulær sykdom, sukkersyke, hypertensjon/høyt blodtrykk, høyt toalt kolesterol og/eller lavt HDL-kolesterol, og inflammasjon. Årsaken er dog ikke helt klar.
1) de Oliveira C, Watt R, Hamer M. Toothbrushing, inflammation, and risk of cardiovascular disease: results from Scottish Health Survey. BMJ. 2010 May 27;340:c2451. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c2451. Pubmed – Full tekst.
2) Fujita M, Ueno K, Hata A. Lower frequency of daily teeth brushing is related to high prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009 Apr;234(4):387-94. Epub 2009 Jan 28. Pubmed.
20) Bahekar AA, Singh S, Saha S, Molnar J, Arora R. The prevalence and incidence of coronary heart disease is significantly increased in periodontitis: a meta-analysis. Am Heart J 2007;154:830-7. [PubMed]
21) Mustapha IZ, Debrey S, Oladubu M, Ugarte R. Cardiovascular disease markers of systemic bacterial exposure in periodontal disease and risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol 2007;78:2289-302. [PubMed].
Sizeism – Hate and Ignorance, on both sides? En fin og tankevekkende artikkel av Leigh Peele om fitness-verden, diskriminering, ‘alfa’ oppførsel og å hjelpe folk med kosthold og helse.